Re: Hum theatre

2013-11-07 08:00:07

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I entirely disagree.

I was not offering an opinion.

Survey methodology is an arcane and difficult technical specialty with a long, colorful and very problematic history. Research on its challenges is extensive and consistent. By way of a brief example, here's something from the survey professionals at Pew:

http://www.people-press.org/methodology/questionnaire-design/question-wording/

> I sense a fair degree of process omphaloskepsis here.

To the extent that it does not matter whether questions are asked ambiguously, responses are interpreted inconsistently and results used inappropriately, yes, I suppose these concerns represent idle reflection.

To the extent that we care whether the IETF really does provide an environment that supports careful, meaningful consideration of issues, encourages the inclusion of differing opinions, and is judicious in its interpretation of comments, it is quite basic to the nature of the IETF.

The point behind my including a single, alternative question at the end was to note that indulging in the exercise as theatre would have been fine if it hadn't purported to do more than that. From many of the comments that have been posted, it's quite clear that many folk think it was more than a closing bit of theatre.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking