Number of CAs (was: Mandatory encryption as part of HTTP2)

2013-11-16 12:12:56
Hi Phillip, Ted,
At 19:11 15-11-2013, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Actually as has been demonstrated repeatedly, the EFF has been deceptive bordering on outright dishonesty about the 600 CAs. Over 300 of what they identified as separate CAs are all run by a single organization that hands out certs to educational institutions in Germany. There is only one CA with separate intermediate certs for each institution. At least 200 of the other certificates they identify as 'CAs' have a similar origin.

I don't have any material interest in the EFF or any CA.

I did a quick check and I found 165 CAs. I didn't look into the details of the number of CAs linked to a single organization.

Regards,
-sm