Re: The "nomap" Network Identifier Suffix

2013-11-26 16:17:16

On 11/26/2013 08:13 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:
I think that's a little facile.

Ok, how's this then....

This reminds me of DNT which was one we passed on when it
was brought to the IETF and I think we should be glad we
did that.

Now I *think* there are fewer adversaries in this case and
those are maybe less adversarial but this has the same
property that there's no technical enforcement mechanism
at all, which makes me wonder.

That said, this might be an ok thing, I guess.

I'd prefer if IEEE provided me a way to have my (E)SSIDs
etc. look random every time to non-authenticated devices
or something. Or to have a way to have us all easily be
able to share a few SSIDs and MAC addresses. There are
probably loads of reasons why that'd not work, but if it
did at least then we'd not just be depending solely on
the kindness of strangers.

S.

The evil bit is ridiculous because evil people have no incentive to set it
(thus nobody would ever look for it to be set).  With the _nomap suffix,
the people who would need to set it have an incentive to do so, and at
least in certain cases, the entities that might consume it have incentives
to obey it as well.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Eric Burger