Re: The "nomap" Network Identifier Suffix

2013-11-26 23:09:34
On 11/26/13, 2:27 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
Separate from the issues surrounding enforcing declared policy,
putting metadata into identifiers seems like a bad practice.

Besides the issue of scalability — do we really want a SSID that
looks like “mnot_nomap_guestsallowed_privacyguaranteed_prettyplease”
— this proposal is squatting on ALL suffixes; someone who wants to
define the “_guestsallowed” suffix, for example, now can’t do so
because it’s in contention with _nomap.

32 octets is not a lot when you're trying to overload semantic meaning
on top of identifer, you'll run out fast.

Never mind that it’s retroactively assigning semantics to potentially
existing identifiers.

These issues seem very similar to those raised in the
draft-nottingham-uri-get-off-my-lawn. It’s very tempting for us as
standards bodies to encroach upon user-visible identifier space, but
doing so brings a number of concrete technical problems, as well as a
higher concern; that these name spaces are explicitly defined to be
under user (or administrator) control, and taking that control away
retroactively shouldn’t be something we do.

Cheers,

On 26 Nov 2013, at 11:04 pm, Eric Burger
<eburger(_at_)cs(_dot_)georgetown(_dot_)edu>
wrote:

Tastes like the ‘evil’ bit, in reverse.

On Nov 25, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net>