Re: The "nomap" Network Identifier Suffix

2013-11-27 01:25:47
At 19:51 26-11-2013, Richard Barnes wrote:
be able to. The people who would deploy this sort of policy mechanism cannot change the 802.11 protocols their WiFi chipsets use, but they *can* change an SSID or parse an SSID. If you wait IEEE to make a standard, and vendors to build it, and ... well, I'll see you in a few years.

The proposal has been implemented in the Securifi Almond WiFi Router. It is also supported by Mozilla and Google.

draft-hoehrmann-nomap-00 does not contain any occurrence of the word "privacy". According to the Dutch Data Protection Authority, "Google has complied with the requirement to inform those involved, both online and off-line, about the processing of WiFi data and about the possibility of registering their refusal by means of an opt-out possibility". I suggest having some text to discuss the privacy angle. The draft could discuss the pros and cons of the identifier convention.

Yes, it's a hack, but the Internet lives on hacks. And people are using it, so what's the harm in documenting it? To make an analogy, how many RFCs for v4/v6 transition schemes do we have that slam an IPv4 address into an IPv6 address?

A lot. :-)

Regards,
-sm