Re: The "nomap" Network Identifier Suffix

2013-11-26 21:51:46
I think we mostly agree here, Mark, but just playing devil's advocate...

If we want things to deploy with any speed, we need the people who want to
deploy them to be able to.  The people who would deploy this sort of policy
mechanism cannot change the 802.11 protocols their WiFi chipsets use, but
they *can* change an SSID or parse an SSID.  If you wait IEEE to make a
standard, and vendors to build it, and ... well, I'll see you in a few
years.

Yes, it's a hack, but the Internet lives on hacks.  And people are using
it, so what's the harm in documenting it?  To make an analogy, how many
RFCs for v4/v6 transition schemes do we have that slam an IPv4 address into
an IPv6 address?

--Richard (who really doesn't have a dog in this fight, but generally likes
the fast path instead of the long, slow, painful, expensive path)

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot(_at_)mnot(_dot_)net>