Re: The "nomap" Network Identifier Suffix

2013-11-27 07:16:03
I'm not a fan of the suffixes, but I appreciate the goal.

FWIW, every time I run up certain mobile hotspots, my online presence is
instantly translated through space (sadly not time) to various hotels and
places around the UK. Sadly, my offline presence cannot be so translated,
otherwise I would save a small fortune in air fares, not to mention the
convenience.

This isn't, though, a security issue. If I have geoloc info going out, I'm
entirely happy for it to say where I am. I'm just not happy when it tells
everyone I'm in a Travelodge in Kingston - not because I'm ashamed of ever
having been there (although perhaps I should be) but because it's simply
inconvenient.

I'd be happy if either geoloc knew to ignore the access point as a location
beacon, or else it actually teleported me. The latter is actually
preferable, but the former's good as well.

Dave.