Daughter of CODEC (was Re: Alternative decision process in RTCWeb)

2013-12-02 11:11:57
If this is really the issue:

On Dec 2, 2013, at 10:49 AM, Ted Hardie <ted(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
"Wait for it" means "lose interoperability".  Whether that wait is
for the market to decide, for the IETF to find new processes, or for new
codecs without IPR to appear.

then I would propose we charter the daughter of CODEC, focused on creating an
IPR-cleared, IETF-standard, video codec. I thought CODEC could not be done,
even though (or perhaps because?) I co-chaired the BOF, and I was pleasantly
proven wrong. I have no problem learning from the past: if the REAL issue is
IPR, the IETF now has a track record of fixing that.

CODEC got its #1 task, publishing the new Opus codec, done in record time. It
was under three years from chartering CODEC to RFC publication.

I would offer RTCWEB punts on MTI, a bunch of motivated people get to work on
Video-CODEC, and we can eventually have one codec to rule them all.

BTW, if this sounds like a Solomon Solution(tm), it is. It means that NEITHER
VP8 NOR H.264 lives on as an official, IETF-sanctioned video codec.

Live by the sword, get cut in half by the sword.