Re: Daughter of CODEC (was Re: Alternative decision process in RTCWeb)

2013-12-06 08:44:25

On Dec 4, 2013, at 5:32 AM, Richard Barnes <rlb(_at_)ipv(_dot_)sx> wrote:

Gonzalo has captured this accurately.  We have been keeping in touch with the
folks that had been driving things, back at the BoF stage.  Currently, my
understanding is that things are in a holding pattern.

Of course, if there's someone else who wants to take the lead on moving a
charter forward (and probably having a second BoF), please feel free to
contact Gonzalo or me.

And also ask the folks the Google folks that did VP8 if they are willing to do
a video codec at IETF (currently Google is pursing standardization at MPEG
which would be a good thing for VP8) and if they will give IETF change control.
(AFAIC the answer when last asked was No). Ditto for the folks that did H.265.
(Again AFAIC, answer is No). In the meantime, if you want to actually
contribute to the research of figuring out how to design an IPR free video
codec, go help the Daala guys. It's an excellent project at an early research
stage and so far is the only concrete proposal that has been put forward of
what might form input to an IETF video codec WG.