Re: https at ietf.org

2013-12-06 01:13:02
On 11/05/2013 04:34 PM, Tim Bray wrote:
Wouldn’t it be a good idea for everything at *.ietf.org
<http://ietf.org> to be served by HTTPS, and only by HTTPS?

Having read the thread, some thoughts for what they are worth.

IMO, as long as the substance of the RFCs themselves (and other appropriate material) are available over some channel that does not require encryption (say FTP for instance) I don't see any reason not to force https instead of http on IETF-related web sites. As others have pointed out however most resources are already available via https, so as a community we should probably be advertising that more widely, including using the https link wherever possible.

On a more practical level, I use the excellent Firefox search plugin for the tools site which is number 5 on the list here: http://mycroftproject.com/search-engines.html?name=rfc

It does this for searches (after my modification to use https):
https://tools.ietf.org/html/{searchTerms}

However when the results come back it's on an http page, instead of https. It would be nice if that redirect either always used https, or used https if it were called that way.

hth,

Doug