Re: [IETF] https at ietf.org

2013-12-06 13:24:28

On Dec 6, 2013, at 2:12 AM, Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us> wrote:

On 11/05/2013 04:34 PM, Tim Bray wrote:
Wouldn’t it be a good idea for everything at *.ietf.org
<http://ietf.org> to be served by HTTPS, and only by HTTPS?

Having read the thread, some thoughts for what they are worth.

IMO, as long as the substance of the RFCs themselves (and other appropriate
material) are available over some channel that does not require encryption
(say FTP for instance) I don't see any reason not to force https instead of
http on IETF-related web sites. As others have pointed out however most
resources are already available via https, so as a community we should
probably be advertising that more widely, including using the https link
wherever possible.

On a more practical level, I use the excellent Firefox search plugin for the
tools site which is number 5 on the list here:
http://mycroftproject.com/search-engines.html?name=rfc

It does this for searches (after my modification to use https):
https://tools.ietf.org/html/{searchTerms}

However when the results come back it's on an http page, instead of https. It
would be nice if that redirect either always used https, or used https if it
were called that way.

And I have just updated my “Rewrite IETF ID URLs to Tools or Datareacker”
Chrome extension to redirect to the ‘https://' versions of pages instead of the
http:// ones.

This will rewrite the "official" IETF Internet Draft URLs
(http://www.ietf.org/id/foo-42.txt) to the Tools
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/foo-42) or Datatracker
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/docs/foo) versions instead.

It was originally written back when the ID Announce (and similar) emails didn’t
include links to the more friendly formats, but a number of folk find it
useful.

hth,

Doug

--
There are only 10 types of people in this world -- those who understand binary
arithmetic and those who don't.