RE: Matthew's Objections: was Re: [rtcweb] Straw Poll on Video Codec Alternatives

2013-12-10 16:49:08
Also please note that I am objecting to the lack of WG consensus on following
the *entire list* of "next steps" called out in the introductory mail
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg10448.html and not
simply the act of the chairs calling for a straw poll.

If not simply a veiled version of the "vote" - which it is, given that the next
step is that the chairs will identify "an option" based on the results of said
straw poll and issue a consensus call on that single option - I do agree that a
straw poll is something that does not *necessarily* require Working Group
consensus to conduct. However, both the particular and detailed form of this
straw poll, and that continuing this discussion has caused a major disruption
to the Working Group progress on any other issues are both highly concerning,
and that is what forms the basis for my objection and subsequent escalation.

For reference, the above-mentioned list is quoted here:

  -- Conduct a straw poll to gather information on which option might achieve
consensus
  -- Chairs identify an option based on the results of the straw poll and issue
a consensus call
  -- If there is consensus (as judged by Richard Barnes), the selected option
is reflected in a WG document
  -- The WG document is confirmed via the normal process of WGLC and IETF LC

Matthew Kaufman