Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-13 08:14:14
Stephen,

On 12/13/13 2:35 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Cool. Added to my to-do list. [1]

Be interested in knowing if you're also ok with the earlier
suggested change? [2] I think that matches well with adding
the above as well.

I *did* state that I wasn't married even to my own text, and the change
you reference in [2] is definitely in the right direction.  To be clear,
there are many reasons why it is helpful to have data in the clear, not
just monitoring.  A good example is network caching (be it DNS or HTTP
or whatever).  I don't think you need to go into all of these examples
so long as we amongst ourselves understand that we're not outlawing this
sort of thing that people need to do to scale or preserve bandwidth.
On that basis I can live with [2], but if the IESG wants to wordsmith
it, that's okay with me as well. I have no particular objection to
Stewart's and Alissa's versions either, although I understand that you
have concerns about that text.

Eliot

[1] http://down.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/misc/ppbcp-text-suggestions.txt

[2]    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg84888.html