Re: Editorial thoughts on draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02

2013-12-16 10:56:56
Christopher,

ISO 27000 (Information technology - Security techniques - Information security
management systems - Overview and vocabulary)
defiChristopher,nes both terms, and differently:

2.4
attack
attempt to destroy, expose, alter, disable, steal or gain unauthorized access
to or make unauthorized use of
an asset (2.3)

2.45
threat
potential cause of an unwanted incident, which may result in harm to a system
or organization

The definition for attack seems appropriate. The definition for threat is not bad, but I prefer an older one, commonly used in the military context, and which
matches with a trio of definitions for understanding security contexts:

Vulnerability - a flaw in a design of implementation of a security-relevent
protocol or system

Attack - more of less as above

Adversary - an entity with a set of motivations and capabilities to effect an attack

Threat - a motivated, capable adversary. An adversary who is capable, but not motivated, is not a threat. An adversary who is motivated, but not capable, is not a threat.

A threat model articulates adversaries and often enumerates classes of attacks, and then discusses the perceived motivation and ability of adversaries to effect attacks
against a system of interest.

We lack a threat model for the Internet. Most of our security protocols do not
have published threat models (we didn't encourage this until recently) and
what is published typically is an attack model, not a threat model.

Most aspects of pervasive monitoring are indistinguishable from our traditional attack model, since that model already assumes adversaries that can engage in passive and active wiretapping. If we had a real threat model, either it would have included a discussion of nation states as adversaries with the capabilities to do what we have seen that they do, and a motivation to do so, or not. I'd like to see this document explicitly discuss this.

Steve