Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-16 13:47:23
Sam,
So, our threat model has included passive monitoring basically since we
first wrote it down.

To me, the interesting changes here are that:

1) The probability of passive monitoring approaches 1.  We know it's
happening which is a stronger statement than we know it may happen or we
know it sometimes happens.
(I'm not saying it's happening everywhere on every link all the time)
Your parenthetical comment admits the probability is not approaching 1,
for all users on all links, ... This may be a reason why we don't have a
rigorous definition for pervasive monitoring yet.

Steve