Re: Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05 becoming a Best Current Practice

2013-12-30 16:02:18
On 12/30/13, 11:45 , Russ Housley wrote:

I have a few comments on draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05.  I do not
know if any of the ADs think these concerns are worth delaying the document,
but in my view my third and fourth comments need to be fixed before the
document can become a Best Current Practice.

1)  As part of the first guideline, RFC 3184 includes these words:

Native English speakers attempt to speak clearly and a bit slowly and to limit
the use of slang in order to accommodate the needs of all listeners.

I think that this was good advice, and it is missing from the current document.

I think the current text is mostly equivalent, expect the two suggestions to speak slowly and limit the use of slang got dropped.

I think it would not hurt to add those suggestions back in, I recommend something like the following.

      ... All participants, particularly those with English as a first
      language, attempt to accommodate the needs of other participants
      by communicating clearly, including speaking slowly and limiting
      the use of slang. ...

2) As part of the second guideline, RFC 3184 includes these words:

Or, said in a somewhat more IETF-like way:

             "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

I like the things that are added in 3184bis, but I'd like to see this included
at the end of the current text.

I'm not completely oppose to adding that back in, but I'm not sure what value it adds. Further, I'm a little concerned it could confuse some people, and I'm not sure it doesn't violate #1 above, seems like slang to me or at least its a metaphor that not everyone will be familiar with.

3) As part of the third guideline, RFC 3184 says that the IETF is working
toward a global Internet.  That is lost in the revised text, and I consider
this a major problem with the new text.

I feel the current text captures that idea in the following;

    IETF participants use their best engineering judgment to find the
    best solution for the whole Internet...

4) As part of the third guideline, RFC 3184 says that IETF participants follow
the IPR rules in BCP 9.  That is lost in the revised text.  Perhaps it belongs
in a separate guideline, but it should be recovered.

I agree with the author, and I don't think it belongs in the guidelines for conduct themselves. It dilutes the message regarding personal conduct in my opinion. If its really necessary, I'd suggest a new section, or maybe even better yet another Appendix, something like the following;

    X. Other Issues

    While not directly related to conduct there are other important
    issues for IETF participants to remember.

    1. No Confidentially

    There must be NO assumption of any confidentiality obligation with
    respect to discussions at work group meetings or on mailing lists.
    Therefore, please DO NOT discuss matters that are subject to any
    confidentiality obligations.

    2. Intellectual Property Rights

    3. General Information

    Other useful information about the IETF and working group meetings,
    such as newcomer training, dress code, etc..., can be found in
    "the Tao of the IETF" [TAO]

    [TAO] <http://www.ietf.org/tao.html>

5) As part of the fourth guideline, readers are pointed to [TOOLS] for WG
charters.  It would be better to point them to the official charter pages:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/

Seems reasonable.

Russ

David Farmer               Email: farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952