Re: Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05 becoming a Best Current Practice

2013-12-31 03:16:58
----- Original Message -----
From: "S Moonesamy" <sm+ietf(_at_)elandsys(_dot_)com>
To: "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:34 AM
<snip>

I agree that the metaphors are part of the expressive power of
language and I agree with what is written above.

The origin of the phrase is from Mike O'Dell and it was written as
follows:

   "Increase the light and reduce the heat."

Mike O'Dell changed that to:

   "Reduce the heat and increase the light."

I did a quick search of the phrase as used in the IETF.  There were
241 results.  11 of those results were from messages posted to IETF
mailing lists.  Four persons commented about that text (I am ignoring
my comments).  My reading of the opinions expressed is that they
leaned towards having that text in the document.

I'll leave this open until 7 January, 2014 so that other persons have
the opportunity to express their opinions.

I have not a clue what that expression means; I have never seen it
before anywhere that I can recall (speaking my one and only language,
English).  Is it Quebecois, Canadian, American, IETFian...  ?  I do not
know and cannot imagine it conveying anything to someone who is new to
the IETF and is not a native English speaker!

Tom Petch

Regards,
S. Moonesamy