Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05 becoming a Best Current Practice

2013-12-30 11:46:17

I have a few comments on draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05.  I do not
know if any of the ADs think these concerns are worth delaying the document,
but in my view my third and fourth comments need to be fixed before the
document can become a Best Current Practice.

1)  As part of the first guideline, RFC 3184 includes these words:

Native English speakers attempt to speak clearly and a bit slowly and to
limit the use of slang in order to accommodate the needs of all listeners.

I think that this was good advice, and it is missing from the current document.

2) As part of the second guideline, RFC 3184 includes these words:

Or, said in a somewhat more IETF-like way:

            "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

I like the things that are added in 3184bis, but I'd like to see this included
at the end of the current text.

3) As part of the third guideline, RFC 3184 says that the IETF is working
toward a global Internet.  That is lost in the revised text, and I consider
this a major problem with the new text.

4) As part of the third guideline, RFC 3184 says that IETF participants follow
the IPR rules in BCP 9.  That is lost in the revised text.  Perhaps it belongs
in a separate guideline, but it should be recovered.

5) As part of the fourth guideline, readers are pointed to [TOOLS] for WG
charters.  It would be better to point them to the official charter pages:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/

Russ