Re: we're all yahoos on this bus, was Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct

2013-12-31 10:22:08
The origin of the phrase is from Mike O'Dell and it was written as
follows:

   "Increase the light and reduce the heat."

Mike O'Dell changed that to:

   "Reduce the heat and increase the light."

I have not a clue what that expression means; I have never seen it
before anywhere that I can recall (speaking my one and only language,
English).  Is it Quebecois, Canadian, American, IETFian...  ?  I do not
know and cannot imagine it conveying anything to someone who is new to
the IETF and is not a native English speaker!

 When the blood burns, how prodigal the soul
 Lends the tongue vows. These blazes, daughter,
 Giving more light than heat, extinct in both,

  - Hamlet, Act I, Scene 3

Culturally yours,
John