IANA as a discrete function (Re: IANA blog article)

2014-01-04 09:57:18
On 1/3/2014 3:27 PM, David Conrad wrote:
- Perhaps it is merely your shorthand, but I've found that saying "IANA" as if it is a discrete
entity rather than a set of functions performed by a contractor (or contractors) tends to confuse things.
For example, you say "... IANA then makes the actual allocations ...".  In actuality (as you note
later on), ICANN, acting as the current IANA "protocol parameters function" operator makes the
allocation.

Glad you raised this.

Given the range of things that ICANN does and given the controversy some of that engenders and given that the IANA activities really are something that the IETF, itself, contracts to have done, I think it /better/ to refer to IANA as a discrete activity.

Labeling that set of functions as its own, IETF-assigned administrative identity can help to separate it from other other Internet administrative functions.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking