Re: IANA blog article

2014-01-04 15:52:27
On 4 jan 2014, at 18:15, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Please read my words as carefully as a wrote them.

I did :-)

There are excellent reasons why variable length IPv6 addresses would have
been a bad idea. That is why I separated considerations for IP layer, DNS and
Applications.

At the application layer, the concerns are very different. Variable length
identifiers are not a problem. We use them in RFC822, ASN.1, XML and JSON.

I do not see we MUST have variable length addresses in whatever protocol we
have.

In DNS for example, we do not. Yes, lots of them, but not unlimited number of
them.

   Patrik