Re: IANA blog article

2014-01-04 02:19:21
Hi David,

and thanks for your comments. Some responses inline:

- Perhaps it is merely your shorthand, but I've found that saying "IANA" as
if it is a discrete entity rather than a set of functions performed by a
contractor (or contractors) tends to confuse things.  For example, you say
"... IANA then makes the actual allocations ...".  In actuality (as you note
later on), ICANN, acting as the current IANA "protocol parameters function"
operator makes the allocation.

Agreed… (I changed this in the article, btw.)

- As I suspect you're aware, ICANN, as the IANA function operator, performs a
couple of other administrative duties that are considered (at least in the
context of the IANA functions contract between the US Dept. of Commerce NTIA
and ICANN, see
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/sf_26_pg_1-2-final_award_and_sacs.pdf)
 outside of the protocol parameter, root zone management, and top-level
Internet numbers allocation functions, i.e., administration of the .ARPA
top-level domain and administration of the .INT top-level domain. Given past
experiences, I hope these other functions are kept in mind as people
think/talk about future frameworks associated with IANA functions evolution.

Ack.

- Some nits in the sentence "For instance, 2000, the IETF and ICANN signed a
contract about the protocol parameters aspect of the IANA function (RFC
2560)": I presume you meant "in 2000" and "RFC 2860".

Oops. Corrected.

Also, as opposed to the IANA functions contract between the USG and ICANN
referenced above, 2860 is not a contract but a "memorandum of understanding"
-- I've been told by lawyers that the distinction is important.

- I probably wouldn't say the system of IANA functions have "grown up" as
that suggests no further growth is necessary/needed.  I'd agree that the
system is maturing, however I believe still has a ways to go, albeit
primarily in non-technical areas. In particular, it will be nice to clarify
the current ... ambiguity, at least in the eyes of some, regarding the
authority over IANA functions.

I do agree that "grown up" should not be taken as "evolution is done". Further
growth and evolution is indeed needed.

Jari