Re: [mpls] draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp was RE: gre-in-udp draft

2014-01-09 10:07:08
On Thursday, January 09, 2014 02:08:43 PM Stewart Bryant
wrote:

Either or both.

I can only speak to native MPLS, as I've never run tunneled
MPLS.

I am interested in how often in practice MPLS packets get
misdelivered due to label corruption.

Well, first of all, routers would need to report corrupted
MPLS frames so operators can glean this data. This isn't
something I've come across, but it would be good to find
some kind of way to count this across interfaces, if the
routers can detect and report them.

The known issue about mis-delivery of MPLS frames is poorly-
sized MTU interfaces. I have no empirical data as to how
this can corrupt successive MPLS frames that may fit into
the transit MTU. But in this case, as with any Layer 2
traffic, not enough MTU = dropped frame.

Mark.