Re: Last Call: <draft-yourtchenko-cisco-ies-09.txt> (Cisco Specific Information Elements reused in IPFIX) to Informational RFC

2014-01-27 18:56:28
On 1/27/14 7:55 AM, Thomas Narten wrote:
The Independent RFC Stream would seem more appropriate.
Well, if you run a document through the RFC Stream publication
process, it doesn't get the same level/type of review as does running
it through the IETF. At least in theory.

If it were running through a WG and the WG wanted to publish it, I'd be much more likely to believe that it was getting a better level/type of review than running it through the ISE. But just getting a Last Call as an AD-sponsored document? I have my doubts.

And though Lars is right that we've been darn inconsistent about it, 2026 does say that we're not supposed to be doing that:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026#section-4.2.3

The ISE can always send a message to the IETF list saying, "I'd like the IETF to have a look at this document and send comments." I think it is almost identically as effective as sending out an IETF Last Call for an AD-sponsored Informational document.

I can imagine times where an AD-sponsored Informational document is useful, but I'm guessing there are far less than the number of times we do it.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478