Re: Last Call: <draft-yourtchenko-cisco-ies-09.txt> (Cisco Specific Information Elements reused in IPFIX) to Informational RFC

2014-01-28 00:50:50
On 1/27/14, 4:14 PM, Benoit Claise wrote:

Hi,

I have a process question on this last call which is not clear from
the last
call text.

Are we being asked to consider whether publication of this document is
useful,
or are we being asked for IETF consensus on the *content* of the
document?

I'd actually like the communities input that there is not something
catastrophically wrong to sending the document on it's merry way that
I've missed.

It seems from the document that the content is descriptive of something
implemented by a single vendor. I applaud putting that information
into the
public domain, but I don't understand the meaning of IETF consensus
with respect
to this document.

It seems highly likely that others have both implemented parsing of
these IEs and may well do so in the future for IEs which are not
depreciated. The fact that these are vendor specific doesn't preclude
there being interoperability concerns given that they are by their
nature exported. Much of Netflow and IPFIX has at one time been vendor
specific.

I don't think there much point is asking a working group to hold the pen
on this given that existing usage of existing values isn't likely to change.

Thanks,
Adrian