Re: Agenda, security, and monitoring

2014-02-03 08:02:48
* John C Klensin wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that, if one
is willing to rely sufficiently on the email system to say "this
will get to the intended person (or at least mailbox), and, if
it does, the person who opens it will either have the relevant
key to be able to read it or not and, if they don't that is ok",
then all that is needed is a self-signed key (or self-signed
X.509 cert).

You do not need keys or certificates in that scenario.

Again, with either PGP or S/MIME (and X.509) with a self-signed
cert or key, authentication is not needed to start using
encryption, only a (perhaps implicit) belief on the part of the
sender that, if the recipient can advertise a public key, it
probably has the private one and that the key-advertiser is not
the proverbial entity-in-the-middle.

Without entities in the middle, encryption is unnecessary.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de ·
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de