Re: Agenda, security, and monitoring

2014-02-01 23:19:01

--On Sunday, February 02, 2014 02:27 +0000 Stephen Farrell
<stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

If we are really serious about preventing monitoring,
especially at the application layer and doing so within our
own community as an  example, this should be obvious.

I disagree as it happens. Putting an emphasis on identification
and authentication seems backwards to me. First, we ought try
provide means to communicate that resist PM, (which requires
confidentiality and can use some help from Mr. Data
Minimisation:-) and after we have that nicely unerway, we can
then see how to establish various kinds of authentication.

I don't believe that starting from authentication is at all
the right approach.

But, I might be wrong, so happy to see people signing keys.

Indeed, it might be interesting as a first step to fix the
IETF list so it wouldn't accept unsigned messages.

Wasn't that debated a few months ago. I don't think that
would be at all useful for anyone.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  At least in this particular context, I
have no interest at all in authentication.  My interest was in a
demonstration of the ability to handle encryption.  For S/MIME
and PGP, if I can sign a message, I can decrypt a message that
is sent to me.  From a privacy or surveillance resistance
standpoint, the latter, and a way to demonstration That
capability, are important.  Authentication is irrelevant and, as
you say, not helpful in that context.

   john