Re: calls for discussion

2014-02-12 10:22:57
On 2/12/14 3:32 AM, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
Does anyone have any other ideas about how we can get back to a point
where most of our decisions are made by people who are active on the
WG mailing list and interested in the work of the group year-round?

I think it's, at core, a cultural problem, and that we're not
doing a very good job of acculturating participants or even our
leadership.

Another problem is that the email situation has deteriorated a
lot over the past couple of decades, and most of us are now
receiving hundreds of pieces of email/day.  It tends to dissolve
into noise.  At meetings, at least people are there to do the
work of the IETF.

And I suppose it's necessary to point out the irony of so
many "participants" spending meeting time reading email,
although I think a lot of those people are bodies-in-chairs
and not active in the working group in session (we've all
been that person, I think).

Melinda