Re: calls for discussion

2014-02-12 10:06:18
On Feb 12, 2014, at 3:45 AM, Chris Elliott <chelliot(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Stupid idea, or worth writing a draft?

It's a good idea.   I don't know for sure that it can work, but it matches my
experience and desire for in-person meetings.   We do have some tradition of
asking people to be prepared for meetings, but presentations typically don't do
that.

There _is_ value in sales pitch presentations, but they don't have to be
fifteen minutes of powerpoint to be useful.   The point of a sales pitch
presentation is the same as the point of a BoF: to expose people in the room to
an idea that they otherwise might not have noticed, so as to attract more
participation.   Working group chairs shouldn't allow random presentations of
this type—it should be done when the chairs have some reason to believe the
working group attendees will actually benefit from the presentation.

So you need to take this into account.

Also, be warned: Broadband Forum just does reading sessions, and they are
difficult not to sleep through.   So don't go to the opposite extreme that way
either.   There must be a middle path.