Re: Appeal from Phillip Hallam-Baker on the publication of RFC 7049 on the Standards Track

2014-02-20 15:08:58
It may have been clear to the IESG that there was disagreement. That is not
a barrier to adoption of a specification.

What is a barrier is when the disagreement comes from a statement from the
original proposers of the project that they are not interested in
addressing a set of requirements that are normally considered for a
proposal of that type and that they will ignore all attempts to raise those
requirements or proposals to meet them regardless of the merits.

It was not clear to the IESG that this was the case because it was not
clear to the AD that it was the case.

The IETF has a long tradition of publishing closed development efforts as
RFCs. But those RFCs are expected to be INFORMATIONAL. Had the AD and IESG
been aware of the nature of the consensus backing CBOR it is unlikely that
it would have agreed on PROPOSED STANDARD.

An appeal was raised. If you think that the process has to be followed or
bad things will result then you should insist that the IESG address the
matter in an official capacity to avoid the setting of the precedent you
want to avoid.

I find it rather interesting that there has been more concern about the
correct way to handle the non-handling of the appeal than there ever was
about the rather minor changes to the specification I proposed that could
have avoided the need for process questions at all.

I also find it rather interesting that people who don't have a need to
efficiently transport binary blobs of data about are so committed to making
it difficult for me to do that with a specification that is as close to
JSON as possible. If I have a 1Gb video file that I want to shove down a
pipe, I certainly don't want to add another 333MB of overhead just to use
JSON. Nor do I want to have a protocol that requires me to deal with two
different data models, two different encoders and two different parsers
when I can meet the exact same need by adding tags to JSON to give me a
length bounded chunk encoding.

Such an encoding is not JSON but it is close enough to JSON that I can use
one set of tools to encode/decode both formats. That is not true if I use
the JSON subset of CBOR.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf(_at_)elandsys(_dot_)com>