Re: Appeal from Phillip Hallam-Baker on the publication of RFC 7049 on the Standards Track

2014-02-20 08:12:26

On Feb 19, 2014, at 4:10 PM 2/19/14, Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> wrote:

As a matter of process, I'm confused about the handling of this appeal.
It sounds like Phil appealed the approval of RFC 7049.

That, I hope, was a decision made by the IESG, not a decision made by
one AD.
So, I'm failing to understand how it makes sense for you to respond to
this appeal as an AD.

Phill took the first step of addressing his complaint to the
responsible AD (me).  This is my response.

So, to clarify the process, Phill did not submit an appeal to the IESG under
section 6.5 of RFC 2026.  Rather, he took his complaint directly to you.

As an aside at this point - is there a formal description of this complaint to
you as an "appeal"?  If so, where is the process documented?

Phill's complaint appears to be directed at the IESG process: "My issue here is
[...] the manner in which CBOR was made a standard has negated the value of
having it being proposed as a standard."  You wrote: "his appeal did come in
within the two-month appeal window after the approval announcement."  Yet
Phill's complaint/appeal appears to have been handled solely by you, rather
than through the process described in section 6.5 of RFC 2026.

I'm not arguing with what has been described as an expedient outcome.  Barry
has responded unilaterally to Phill's complaint and not as a part of a formal
appeal by Phill; Phill is satisfied with that response and has not, to date,
filed a formal appeal.  If I have that right, then Barry should clarify that
this complaint/response was not part of the formal appeals process.  For
example, here:

 If he or someone else
should choose to pursue a further appeal, the next step would be to
take it to the IESG by way of the Chair

Barry should make clear that Phill would be taking up a formal appeal under RFC
2026, after following an informal discussion of his complaint with the
responsible AD.

My concern is that we not establish some de facto extension to our processes by
labeling this particular example of complaint resolution as a formal appeal.

- Ralph

Barry