Re: Appeal from Phillip Hallam-Baker on the publication of RFC 7049 on the Standards Track

2014-02-19 18:48:32
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>wrote:

The way I think the process should work is:

1) The IAB identifies the need for a consensus binary encoding for JSON as
a platform the IETF community can build on (or why call it an architecture
board).

It’s not obvious that such a consensus exists.  In my experience, message
parsing times are dominated by memory management and network pipes are
congested by multimedia files and wrapping binary blobs in general-purpose
data packaging formats is usually the wrong thing to do anyhow for a
variety of reasons.  Thus, I question the utility of a binary encoding of
JSON.  Examining the trial of tears that went into the attempts to make a
“binary XML” would be instructive in this context.