Re: A suggestion for future Technical Plenaries

2014-03-06 03:40:32
On 3/6/2014 2:32 AM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
Speakers should be encouraged to at least think about how their talk
relates to the work of the IETF, rather than just glibly saying "I don't
know" in their last slide. And speakers who intend to primarily act as
shills for their own companies should instead pay for a slot in the
"Bits-n-Bites" session.

There have been some excellent Technical Plenary talks over the
years. Alas, this was not one of them. I was hoping to see at least
an
overview of various digital currencies (especially wrt. to their use of
network protocols - i.e., topics that could be of particular relevance
to the IETF).

Encouraging speakers to consider the issue certainly makes sense.

Expecting them to know the answer probably doesn't.

Unless someone is facile with doing interoperability among independent systems and standardizing them, even thinking about how and what to standardize is often a foreign exercise.

That said, one might argue that it /should/ be required that the IAB explicitly engage in a pre-presentation discussion with the speaker about this issue. (I'm making the wild assumption that the IAB folk will, in fact, be facile with such an exercise...)

By the way, one of the other places folks should be encouraged to ask about or offer suggestions for work in the IETF is from the floor, after the presentation.

It will be quite a bit more productive than attacking the speaker...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking