Re: A suggestion for future Technical Plenaries

2014-03-06 09:34:48
I do not think you can generalize.

The two most memorable (to me) tech plenaries were:

-A presentation by someone from Google about the (not yet released)
Android (clearly falls into the "marketing" bucket)

-A (prophetic?) presentation by Fred Baker about the potential for the
government to intercept Internet content (clearly falls into the "talking
to ourselves" bucket)

Unfortunately, getting a good plenary speaker/speech is not "cookbook".

Janet

"ietf" <ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote on 03/06/2014 10:13:36 AM:

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com>
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Date: 03/06/2014 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: A suggestion for future Technical Plenaries
Sent by: "ietf" <ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

Hi Brian,

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 03:55:57AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Get speakers we know, and avoid speakers with management job titles.

Is there a danger in that case of the technical plenary turning into
an echo chamber, where we only talk to ourselves?  (That's not a
rhetorical question; I'm asking for real.)

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com