Re: AB's comments on April Fools RFCs (was Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide")

2014-03-08 06:42:01
Jari,

Not speaking of the current case, but I don't not fully agree with you.

We both know that over the years we have seen trolls on our mailing
lists (troll = someone that repeatedly and repetitively causes useless
discussions on topics that even with the wildest stretch can't be said
to belong on an IETF mailing list).

I think we should be allowed to call a troll a troll! Most of the time
it is just best to ignore them, but we have seen cases where removing
posting rights has been the only effective way to handle this.

Randy,

I think you correctly describe a problem below. Well intended disruptive
(or at least non-productive) postings are still disruptive/non-
productive. And I think the right method is not to respond, and
encourage others not to do it.

/Loa

On 2014-03-07 16:58, Randy Bush wrote:
jari:

As we discussed in the IESG open mic session at the plenary last
night, it's not appropriate to call people trolls, or anything else.
If you think someone's comments are not helpful, address that. It's
not appropriate to argue the person behind the comment.

point taken and apologies.  my posting was ad hominem.

but i think we have a problem where a poster is *repeatedly* causing
massive useless discussion which overwhelms the useful content of the
list.  as their postings are probably well intended, asking to censor
them would be harsh.  asking folk not to be drawn into the response
cycle is not simple.

randy

--

Loa Andersson                        email:
loa(_at_)mail01(_dot_)huawei(_dot_)com