RE: IETF working language

2014-03-09 14:54:44
Klaas Wierenga may have said...

So in practice those participants usually show restraint and let you native
speaking alpha males fight it out at the mike.... Not sure that that improves
the
quality of the IETF process.....

When chairing WG meetings I have twice invited presenter and questioner to talk
in their native languages to get themselves clear on what they were talking
about, and then report back to the WG.

While this may seem like a small step forward, most of the discussion on this
list has focussed on a mind-set that I find to be "use my language, not
English". There are too many languages for that to be practical and a single
common language is needed or we need interpretation services. I know how much
the latter costs, so I favour (sic) the former.

Adrian