RE: Removing stuff from archives (Re: Anti-harassment procedures - next version)

2014-03-10 01:15:10
We used to try to expunge old versions of drafts from the Internet. Whatever
process the IETF comes up with, if there is a possibility of material being
removed,
other archives will work harder to be sure it is preserved.

There is something literally Orwellian about attempting to remove messages from
the archives in the name of political correctness. I wonder why we are even
considering the notion. This is the IETF, not the "Ministry of Truth."

Besides, as Scott points out, it cannot work. We have been using email on the
Internet for more than 30 years, and by now we should all be aware that there
is no such thing as a "recall" button. The mailing list is distributed, anybody
can archive it, and I am pretty sure that people already do. Any attempt to
remove something from the archives will most likely trigger the re-publication
of the offending material in some alternate site. Welcome to the Streisand
effect.

-- Christian Huitema