Re: Removing stuff from archives (Re: Anti-harassment procedures - next version)

2014-03-09 19:23:23
Adrian,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Adrian Farrel
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
Harald echoes my original email

Just to show diversity, I agree with Bjoern and disagree with Patrik.

I think that AB's 2119 MUST is far too strong.
I think that Patrik's requirement that the archives retain everything posted
is
too rigid.

OK

In the I-D, Pete and I have tried to devolve such decisions (on other things)
the Ombudsperson on the grounds that we want consistency of application, and
reasonable assessment of what should be removed.

The more actual executive authority the Ombudsperson has, the less
they are a neutral arbiter and facilitator and the more likely they
are become ensnarled as one of the actors in a messy controversy. The
authority to take such a rare and drastic action as deleting messages
should be with the IESG, not the Ombudsperson.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

I believe that for legal reasons, the original email must be retained in a
non-public place that can be accessed by the Secretariat.

Can we leave this, that the authors will add a line to the document noting
that
this is an action the Ombudsperson may consider? Then we can all move on to
making the Internet better.

Adrian