Re: Stopping at two (was: Two official work languages is smarter)

2014-03-10 08:05:06
On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Yoav Nir
<ynir(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
In practical terms. I walk into a room discussing (just picking a wg or bof
at random) "tunneling compressed multiplexed traffic".  Suppose I knew
anything about this and had some slides:
 - what language would those slides be in?
 - what language would the draft that the slides are talking about be in?
 - In what language am I talking about the draft or the slides?
 - The people running to the mike telling me that I, in fact, do not know
anything about this, what language do they speak?

If the answer to all these questions is English, what does this flexibility
mean?
If the answer is that there will be a whole bunch of languages, how are we
going to communicate?

English is not my native language, but I don't see an alternative. People
all over the world learn English as a second language. More so than any
other language. Unless you want to get us all speaking Esperanto or lojban,
English is the most practical.

Yoav

+1.  English is not my native language neither, but I do not see any
other practical solutions (Esperanto jokes aside).

Riccardo