Re: Web Anniversary

2014-03-13 05:06:31

On 13/03/2014 00:37, Robert Elz wrote:
The UK and NO links were really arpanet links, not internet, and
were subject to all of the arpanet restrictions.  For example, I am
reasonably sure that mail from janet users to arpanet users did not
travel over the arpnet's UK link.  I suspect the same was true of Norway.

UK email followed a number of gateways to reach Internet, each
performing the required address inversion from NRS to Host/DNS. Amongst
the gateways was uk.ac.uk.cs.nss which performed address conversion and
which sent emails across the Atlantic via SatNet to ames.arc.nasa.gov

Kind regards,

Olivier