Re: Web Anniversary

2014-03-13 05:38:48
Aha, thanks for that Lloyd.

On 13 Mar 2014, at 07:38, <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
<l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:

I suggest forwarding much of this discussion to
the internet-history list to be captured.

http://www.postel.org/internet-history/

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood
From: ietf [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Ole Jacobsen
[olejacobsen(_at_)me(_dot_)com]
Sent: 13 March 2014 01:07
To: Robert Elz
Cc: John C Klensin; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Web Anniversary

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Robert Elz wrote:

   Date:        Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:35:56 -0400
   From:        John C Klensin <klensin(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>

 | As others have pointed out, the first international connections
 | were to the UK and Norway, not The Netherlands.

The UK and NO links were really arpanet links, not internet, and
were subject to all of the arpanet restrictions.  For example, I am
reasonably sure that mail from janet users to arpanet users did not
travel over the arpnet's UK link.  I suspect the same was true of Norway.

Initially, yes, but TCP/IP was introduced in 1983. We certainly had
connections between SATNET, UNINETT in Norway and networks on the
other side of the Atlantic around that time. (I worked at NDRE and
later at NTARE). The initial connection to Norway was at NORSAR, the
Norwegian Seismic Array, to measure all those frequent and strong
earthquakes we have in Norway --- not ;=)

So, while it was technically true that there were those international
arpanet links, they (like all the private intra-company links, whether
they used IP or something else) don't really count as internet links.

The claim was that the first international [Internet] link was created
by the Netherlands and happened in 1988, that's certainly not true.
It's at least 5 years too late, and it wasn't the first anyway.

I would certainly count the NL link (really, EU link, that happened to
terminate in Amsterdam) as the first international true internet link
(in that it connected other networks, not just an end system or two).

See above.

But wrt ccTLDs you're right, NL certainly wasn't first - excluding US
and UK (which were registered before registrations opened...) I think
the first was IL (and it would have been 1985 - before the 1986 reg
date cited for NL).    Ignoring UK, NL might well have been the first
European TLD registered though.

Of course UK should have been GB as per the ISO code, but Postel
granted them an exception. Lots of good history to tell here, but
this is probably the wrong list :-)

 | I really wish that we could somehow restore the spirit of a
 | collaborative effort, one with many cooperating contributors to

It would be good, but it is too big for that now, and includes all those
people whose primary interest is publicity (including politicians of
course) - for whom outlandish claims and self promotion are normal.

kre

Ole