Re: Comments on draft-farrresnickel-harassment-01 - A mostly 'NO' view

2014-03-18 19:05:22

Hiya,

On 03/18/2014 11:55 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:

If the ombudsfolk are exceedingly busy, I would suggest that it's more
than the setup of the procedures that is a failure, and that we have a
deeper problem to examine. I am trying to be optimistic that the mere
discussion of these topics while we develop these procedures will cause
people to check their behavior and thereby make the ombudspersons' job
exceedingly boring.

We're agreeing about the desired steady-state.

I do think there's value including language along those
lines, to ameliorate any concerns that the ombudspeople will
become the PC thought police. (Or are reflective of a trend
towards such.) I don't think that is the case, but I do
think there are some people somewhat concerned about that.

Things like that have to be balanced with sensitivity in the
language as it would be read by someone who is suffering
harassment (e.g. not writing as if their reports are fake)
but perhaps the "busy ombudspersonages => major problem of
some sort => revisit this scheme" chain is actually quite
ok in that respect.

S.