Re: What I've been wondering about the DMARC problem

2014-04-21 14:53:57
As such, the ability to reply to the RFC5322.From tells you almost nothing
about its legitimacy. ...

I seem to recall common use of From: field validation back when that
capability was introduced into open source sendmail as an anti-spam tactic,
though it was never supported by the vendor directly.  Maybe it's less
common now.

If people start rejecting because .INVALID is on the From: line, it
is the work of a moment to adjust it to something like this:

 From: Marissa <marissa(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com(_dot_)not(_dot_)sp(_dot_)am>

and the work of about three moments to spin up a fake MTA that accepts
any RCPT TO and rejects at DATA.  Or I suppose it could just be an
open relay.

This of course trains people to be phished, by telling them that
<security(_at_)paypal(_dot_)com(_dot_)some.thing> is the same as
<security(_at_)paypal(_dot_)com>.

R's,
John