Re: Will mailing lists survive DMARC?

2014-04-29 10:11:21
FWIW, we at Comcast just posted on this subject on our Postmaster page at
http://postmaster.comcast.net/dmarcupdate.html.

- Jason

Pasted here as well:
Background

Comcast recently emplemented the Domain-based Authentication, Reporting, and
Conformance (DMARC)<http://dmarc.org/> specification as a new way to help
prevent phishing messages from reaching our customers’ mailboxes. DMARC enables
a domain to publicly indicate (via DNS) what action should be taken for mail
claiming to be from that domain that does not pass authentication and get
reports about phishing and spam messages that did not come from approved mail
servers.

Recent History
Recently, the policies that AOL and Yahoo published instructed mail servers
that use DMARC to reject mail if it claims to be from aol.com or yahoo.com but
failed authentication – meaning the mail did not originate from an approved
mail server run by AOL or Yahoo, respectively. This has reportedly caused
issues for some people using AOL or Yahoo addresses with email discussion lists
and other mail sending tools. More information from AOL was posted
here<http://postmaster-blog.aol.com/2014/04/22/aol-mail-updates-dmarc-policy-to-reject/>.

While AOL and Yahoo may be addressing spam and phishing issues in making this
change, it does not yet appear to be typical DMARC usage. We have been asked
whether Comcast plans to make similar changes soon, and we can confirm we have
no such plans.

Comcast’s Future DMARC Plans
To help us improve our detection of those who use the comcast.net domain
maliciously we have published a DMARC record for comcast.net, but that change
WILL NOT disrupt legitimate messaging. This policy will not ask other services
to reject messages that did not originate from us, but rather report those
instances to us for research. We will also publish DMARC reject policies in the
coming months for the domains used by our Xfinity Billing, Xfinity Home, and
Customer Security Assurance notifications. These originate from specific
domains and servers that we maintain. This will not negatively affect email
discussion lists but will help us prevent some of phishing messages that might
attempt to target our customers.

If You Have Been Negatively Affected by AOL’s and Yahoo’s Changes
If you are an Xfinity Internet customer, use an AOL or Yahoo email account
regularly, and are having problems getting email from email discussion lists or
other tools at those addresses, we invite you consider activating or using your
comcast.net email account.

To signup, add, or change your email account - Click
Here<http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/stay-connected-with-email/>

Once your email address is registered, you can access it in several ways:
For webmail users - Click
Here<http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/using-xfinity-connect-for-comcast-email/>
For email client users - Click
Here<http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/>