Re: Will mailing lists survive DMARC?

2014-04-29 20:38:10
On 4/29/2014 7:54 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Douglas Otis
<doug(_dot_)mtview(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
<mailto:doug(_dot_)mtview(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    There will be an effort made to better generalize the TPA expired
    draft. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6541 (ATPS) was hostile to
    existing mailing-list services and, as such, could not be
    deployed.  Nor was it more suitable for high volume email
    services.  An effort to change From header fields will have users
    guessing which field indicates who authored the message and in the
    end will provide no benefit.

ATPS was deployed as part of an open source package since before it
was published.  It has seen negligible use, and I suspect that's
because there has not to date been any demand for third-party signing
mechanisms of any kind.

Disagree, because you went at it half-hearted. You made it experimental and your abstract even stated that it probably means nothing. More importantly, Levine and Crocker didn't support the effort, so it didn't have a chance at all.

Its call marketing just as it was done with DMARC which is less flexible than any other policy system. If you don't champion it, it goes nowhere.

In any case, ATPS, TPA, and its variants all run up against a
whitelisting scaling problem.  I think that's the more interesting
thing to discuss.

It was already discussed. Unless you are sharing this "Whitelist" in some centralized fashion, it won't be a persistent and consistent protocol solution. What it will promote is targeted abuse at those sites that do not have the same whitelist -- You ware making it so that "Batteries Required" in order to function.

We been thru this already. We need a standard consistent and persistent domain based solution all can apply equally and one that you don't need to buy "Batteries" to get any payoff. Even with all the "small use cases" belief that is being proven wrong about policy, you guys are still in denial about policy. Everyone is telling you guys you got it all wrong, and you still won't listen. This thing will never be solved with a status quo.

--
HLS