Re: Google.com hops on the DMARC bandwagon

2014-04-29 18:11:37
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 03:36:34PM -0700,
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
No, because those postings will bounce, and cause those users to get
unsubscribed from the list.

But in this case, we're talking about the p=quarantine policy that
Google published for google.com... No bouncing (and hence no automatic
unsubscription, unless a receiver interprets p=quarantine as 'please
reject').

Fair point. My observation about the appropriate acronym stands, however.

And some of us have already pointed out internally that this might
cause engineers at Google (including folks like Vint) to not be able
to participate on external mailing lists as effectively, since some
percentage of the mailing list recipients might not receive their
message.

And if that means a Google engineer tries to send a patch to an
upstream open source maintainer via a mailing list, and the maintainer
doesn't see the patch or bug report because it got silently dropped by
their MTA (or put in some spam/junk folder), well, that's Google's
loss, and not necessarily the open source project's problem.

Me, I use a non-google.com e-mail address for my external mailing list
discussions, so it's not going to be a problem for me.  :-)

                                        - Ted