Re: Suggestion: can we test DMARC deployment with a mailing list?

2014-05-02 18:35:46
On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 06:52:05PM -0400, John R Levine wrote:
The problems are occuring at the end points, not at the IETF.  For example,
aaron(_at_)aol(_dot_)com posts to a list, where one of the subscribers is
charlie(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net.  The list adds a subject tag and footer, as
our lists
have done since forever, and remails it to Charlie.  Comcast's DMARC
software observes that this message has an aol.com addresss in the From:
line, but didn't come from an AOL IP host (SPF) or has it a valid aol.com
DKIM signature, so Comcast bounces it.  This isn't hypothetical; I've seen
exactly this in my logs.

If you think about the inventives of the entities in question, it's
really not that surprising.  Yahoo and AOL will want to force people
to use their web-based forums, so they have no incentive to make life
easier for mailing lists.  And Comcast has an opportunity to steal
mail users from Yahoo and AOL by telling the world the solution is to
use their comcast.net address, since they promise not to enable
p=reject (even as they enforce it with a vengeance):

        http://postmaster.comcast.net/dmarcupdate.html

                                                - Ted