Re: Reviving watersprings.org.

2014-07-02 21:18:01

On Jul 2, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Fred Baker (fred) <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Jul 2, 2014, at 11:15 AM, Adrian Farrel
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

At the time that waterspring was set up we didn't archive old versions of
I-Ds and once an I-D had expired it disappeared (related issues, but
separately annoying). That is no longer the case, so the (UI aside) the main
residual value would be retrieving the archive of old I-Ds and I am not so
sure how useful that is, but archivists and IPR lawyers might comment).

Do we have a place I can download that from?

Yes, https://tools.ietf.org says:
"• Unpurged IETF drafts repository:
To list the content, do:
  rsync rsync.tools.ietf.org::tools.id
To sync the content, do:
  rsync -avz rsync.tools.ietf.org::tools.id ./id"

It contains more stuff than Watersprings (back when Watersprings was running)
and I have been rsync'ing with it for a couple of years.  It's about 4.5GB of
content.

Watersprings lets you download any given draft that it has that you want, but
to my knowledge doesn’t allow for a block download/rsync. The IETF used to
have such a place, and deleted it. I discovered that by accident when I
deleted my mirror with a view to recovering from the IETF. Oops.

I have something I got from Scott Bradner, which is probably complete or
mostly complete, but which I have found holes in and filled. My problem is
that I don’t know what I don’t know.

-d