mcast.net and reverse for v6 multicast groups

2014-07-10 15:13:11

I'm not really sure where to address this question.
I am debugging some DHCPv6 code, and I asked my system for multicast
membership,  and "netstat -g" told me that I was a member of
all-systems.mcast.net.
Adding -n told me the IPv4 values, but I then noticed that the V6 addresses
did not have a reverse.

icann.org seems to maintain the reverse for 224.in-addr.arpa, so naturally
224.0.0.1 gets mapped that way.
Doing a dig on reverse for ff02::1 gets me:
ip6.arpa.               3587    IN      SOA
b.ip6-servers.arpa. hostmaster.icann.org. 2014061793 1800 900 604800 3600

and asking about ip6-servers.arpa tells me that iab(_at_)iab(_dot_)org is the
admin contact,
and iana(_at_)iana(_dot_)org is the technical contact.

I guess it's IANA's job to populate the reverse for ff::/8 with something?
I'm wondering when this might occur...  what will it point to?

mcast.net is a Verisign property.  The contact address is very generic, so I
am skeptical that an email to that address will return something useful,
but I've tried anyway.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-