Re: WG Review: Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance (dmarc)

2014-07-17 01:10:52
Hi Dave,
At 17:32 16-07-2014, Dave Crocker wrote:
Unfortunately I think I'm more confused now.

The existing draft has been submitted independently.  As such it is not
part of the working group chartering process.  Any IESG activity, with
regards to the independent submission, is independent of this wg draft
charter.  The independent submission is mentioned in the draft charter
only as some convenient background.

With respect to protocol parameter assignments, you appear to be
suggesting that something is or has been problematic, but I can't tell
what it is.  In any event, are there changes to the draft charter that
you are suggesting?

In my opinion the existing specification cannot be published through the Independent Stream because of the IANA Considerations section, i.e. it has to be sent to the IESG. The Application Area Directors will have to decide what to do about the "Email Authentication Parameters" assignments as conflict of interest can be raised as an issue.

The proposed charter states that DMARC has been deployed. The (proposed) working group discussions will have to take that into account and also refer to a DMARC specification as it is not being asked to design a protocol to solve one or more problems. The (proposed) working group reviews the DMARC specification and finds out that the assignments have not been done. The easy path would be to fix the IANA stuff and move forward. Given that this is an email-related working group there is bound to be strong disagreement. Process issues could be raised; I am not inferring that it is bad. This is where one looks into whether there has been any arbitrary decision.

"Protocol parameter assignments" is about IETF policy; it is not DMARC specific. It is related to the discussion on an IAB mailing list. It can impact on future IESG decisions.

To be clear, I am not suggesting any text changes to the draft charter. I commented as it looks like a matter for the IESG to consider.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy